1835-1902 back to top
1835 Company founded
1885 Inauguration of the Gehe Foundation
After the death of Franz Ludwig Gehe in 1882, the company opens the Gehe Foundation. The founder arranged for the creation of the foundation, with the aim of forming an educational establishment, in his last will and testament. The aim is also to allow employees to achieve further education and trainings further for free. In 1902 the foundation achieves academy status. The foundation's lecturers are each awarded the title of professor. The foundation's library is the largest library in political science in Saxony.
1887 Street naming in Dresden
1903 Entry to the stock market
1910 First edition of the Gehe Codex
1934 First foreign subsidiary in Spain
1935 Gehe's 100th anniversary
1948 Company head office in Munich
After the Second World War and the division of Germany, work starts on reconstructing the wholesale business from Munich. The subsidiaries in Sulzbach-Rosenberg and Kassel, plus the shareholding in C. H. Burk GmbH in Stuttgart form the basis for the reconstruction. In Dresden, the Gehe parent company continues as a state-owned business under the name Heilchemie. The factories in Saxony undergo a compulsory purchase and are converted into state-owned plants.
1973 Majority shareholder Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH
1981 Company head office in Stuttgart
1990 Investment programme in Germany
The pharmaceuticals wholesaler is spun off to become GEHE Pharma Handel GmbH. Other business operations form their own business divisions. GEHE AG functions as the holding company. With the acquisition of a majority holding in the French pharmaceutical wholesaler Office Commercial Pharmaceutique OCP S. A. the group becomes the largest European pharmaceutical wholesaler with its key operations in Belgium, Germany, France, Portugal, the Czech Republic and Russia.
1995 Entry into the pharmacy business
Gehe enters the pharmacy business with its purchase of the British company AAH PLC. AAH runs the British pharmacy chain Hills and is the largest pharmaceutical wholesaler in Great Britain and Ireland. In 1997, GEHE enlarges its pharmacy business by purchasing the second largest pharmacy chain in Great Britain, which includes almost 1,000 pharmacies: Lloyds Chemists PLC.
1997 Expansion of pharmacy business
1999 Largest European pharmacy chain
By merging Hills and Lloyds pharmacies in Great Britain, the largest European pharmacy chain is formed under the LloydsPharmacy name. In the Czech Republic, GEHE acquires and opens 30 pharmacies in the following year. The company purchases more pharmacies in Bologna, Italy thanks to it winning a contract as part of a privatisation procedure.
2000 Purchase of the market leader in Austrian pharmaceutical wholesale
2001 Purchase of the market leader in Norwegian pharmaceutical wholesale
2003 GEHE AG becomes Celesio AG
2004 Entry to the market in South East Europe
2006 Entry to the market in Denmark
2007 Entry to the mail-order market
2009 Entry to the market in Brazil
Celesio expands its activities abroad and enters the South American market by purchasing a majority stake in Panpharma, the number one on the Brazilian pharmaceutical wholesale market. In the following year, Celesio also acquires 60 per cent in the Brazilian Oncoprod Group, a distributor in speciality pharmaceuticals such as drugs for cancer treatment.
2010 Entry to the market in Sweden
2012 Creation of the European Pharmacy Network
2014 McKesson Corporation becomes majority shareholder
2016 Strategic focus on European markets
After selling its Brazilian business, Celesio’s strategic focus is on European markets. Celesio acquires Sainsbury’s pharmacy business and Bupa Home Healthcare (now: Lloyds Pharmacy Clinical Homecare) in the UK, and Belmedis, the Belgian distribution business of the France-based cooperative Welcoop. In Portugal Celesio acquires Holon, a major branded network of independent pharmacies.
2017 Renaming to McKesson Europe
2018 First Europe-wide Corporate Responsibility Report
McKesson Europe has published its first Europe-wide insights (PDF 2,1 MB) into its sustainable handling of economic and ecological resources and informs readers about its commitment to social responsibility.